The digital magazine of J. Sterling Morton West High School

The Sterling

The Sterling

The Sterling

All Kinds of Valentines!

The month of February is often known as the month for dedications of love.  As the seasonal love begins to arrive, people started preparing for a special day known as Valentine’s Day! Most people would often think about flowers, chocolates, and couples when they think about Valentine’s Day as February 14th is popular among those in romantic relationships. But this is not the only kind of love that is shared among Valentines,  some students at Morton West thought in new creative ways when it came to expressing themselves on Valentine’s Day.

Students working on their Valentine’s gifts for their friends and partners! (N. Castillo)

Junior Maritza Castañeda explained the different qualities she thinks about when it comes to Valentine’s Day by providing various examples of how Valentine’s Day isn’t just for romantic love, but also for platonic love that friends share for one another. “When it comes to Valentine’s, I don’t necessarily believe it can just be romantic! Love in general is for everyone and I believe everyone is allowed to experience their own kind of love. It shouldn’t be restricted just because some people want that day reserved for their special ones,” Castañeda explained. Castañeda even suggested her own “Galentine’s event” to celebrate with some of her close girlfriends. Valentine’s Day is just another reminder of how much Castañeda appreciates and loves her friends which emphasizes the platonic love and bond Valentine’s Day can bring to people.

Junior Isaiah Arana gifting all kinds of love! (Natalie Castillo)

With this purpose in mind, fellow junior Isaiah Arana shared his thoughts on  Valentine’s Day. “I don’t think Valentine’s is to just be perceived as romantic. I’ve seen people do things for their friends and I’ve done things for my mother and my family.” Everyone should be allowed to celebrate Valentine’s Day, as it doesn’t have to be limited to romantic partners. Arana added, I would like to say that I do enjoy Valentine’s Day because it can be fun to do stuff for people and for others to do something for you”  All these new ideas bring all kinds of love for Valentine’s Day.

Even though you can share your love through friends, family, and partners, your love doesn’t necessarily have to just apply to February 14th. Instead, Valentine’s Day could be a day or a new beginning to take care of yourself by self-love and self-care, as well as showing your love towards others and most importantly, showing love to yourself by being kind and gentle.