The digital magazine of J. Sterling Morton West High School

The Sterling

The Sterling

The Sterling

What’s on Art Club’s Agenda?

Art Club sponsor and leaders during Mortons Homecoming Parade. Alexa Rodriguez (left), Ariani Hernandez (middle), Ms. Ghanimah (right).
Art Club sponsor and leaders during Morton’s Homecoming Parade. Alexa Rodriguez (left), Ariani Hernandez (middle), Ms. Ghanimah (right).
Art Club’s submission to Morton West’s Dec-A-Door contest from last year (2022).

Feeling artsy? Want to unleash your creativity? Want to hang out with people just like you? Then Morton West’s Art Club is the place to go. Held at D209 every Tuesday after school from 3:30-4:30, with Sculpture and Art studio teacher Ms. Amal Ghanimah as the sponsor. Art Club has a lot to offer in several mediums like digital, sculpture, painting, and arts and crafts.

Art Club has plans to paint a mural for the school, Ghanimah said, “I’m hoping to get back into that after October. I wish it could be in my room but if not, maybe like the Freshman Academy like originally planned or something.” There are also plans for a field trip every semester to go to art museums. Art Club will start fundraising to raise money for supplies or to fund a field trip in the Spring sometime during November or December selling chocolates.

Ghanimah has been teaching sculpture and art studio here at Morton West for about four years.  Having taken many three-dimensional art classes during high school and college, Ghanimah can guide you through any problems you may have in your art journey.

Art Club members after winning Club Olympics. Christina Drossos (left), Inc Ringstad (second from the left), Oscar Patzer (middle), Imani Sanchez (second from the right), and Ariani Hernandez (right).

Art Club has two leaders in charge of keeping members up to date on weekly tasks and activities on the club’s Teams page, students should show up to D209 before or after school to get the code. Student Art Club President is Ariani Hernandez, a Senior at Morton West, is an aspiring crime fighter who has a knack for drawing. Student Vice President Alexa Rodriguez, also a Senior here at Morton West, is an upcoming digital designer who helps orchestrate weekly events with Hernandez and Ghanimah to provide a fun and welcoming environment for all who show any interest in art. Rodriguez explained what the club aims for, “Art Club is a place for all artists to come and collab in this beautiful space we have – Ms. Ghanimah’s art room – which also doubles as the art studio – so all of our club members have access to all sorts of materials.” Because students have access to a lot of materials, you have a lot of art items to choose from, so if you have any projects in mind, then this is the place to get them done.

Because many Art Club members are Seniors, including Hernandez and Rodriguez, Art Club will require new members as well as new leaders for next year. If you have any questions about taking the leader role for next year or any questions in general, feel free to reach out to Ms. Ghanimah on Teams or through email [email protected].