The digital magazine of J. Sterling Morton West High School

The Sterling

The Sterling

The Sterling

SHH- Afterschool club

Looking for a beneficial honors program? Well then look at the Spanish Honor Society (SHH). This club is managed by students who will grow up to be community leaders and benefit the Latino community.  SHH’s sponsor and Spanish teacher Ms. Paola Ibarra stated, “The main focus of SHH is to build a community where students are able to showcase their professionalism, as they are required to complete specific goals by the end of the year.” 
To be accepted into the SHH program, a student needs to fill out a form and have a conversation with the sponsor, Ms. Ibarra who will determine whether or not to recommend the student. If approved, the student will become a member of SHH, and the club members will provide information on meetings and requirements.  The program’s members are managed and guided by eight students in charge known as the cabinet. A cabinet member assists students with their needs as soon as they are assigned an activity.  Club activities are decided by the SSH Cabinet Team who have assigned roles and together provide input on what activities they want to see. Senior Madeline Silva states,  “The community and individuals are what make SHH what it is. I don’t think it would exist without them,”

Given the word “honor,” in the club’s name, many people might assume that participating in the SHH program would be difficult. Silva thinks that establishing a balance between completing their service hours and maintaining their grades would be the only challenging aspect.   However, many students, like Senior Ariani Hernandez, take on the challenge of improving their education “SHH can give me the opportunity to hardness my Spanish skills whether its what I do at home or school”. Four pillars support SHH: character, leadership, community service, and scholarship. SHH members need to dedicate at least 3 hours a month to the club to succeed and fulfill club requirements of a set number of hours of community service. The goal is to complete 20–25 hours by the end of the school year if this is your first year in the program. The goal should be 30 hours if you have previous experience completing service hours.

Being a member of SHH carries a lot of responsibility. Students have accepted this challenge and the results of their hard work are truly satisfying. Therefore, consider joining SHH, it will be beneficial to both you and those who live nearby.