The digital magazine of J. Sterling Morton West High School

The Sterling

The Sterling

The Sterling

ITEEA REACH Challenge at Morton West

ITEEA REACH Challenge at Morton West

Morton West High School students embark on a transformative journey in the International Technology and Engineering Educators Association (ITEEA) REACH Challenge, addressing real-world challenges faced by peers with limited mobility. Since 2019, this STEM program has encouraged middle school, high school, and students in college to develop an adaptive and assistive product to help a physically challenged member of their community. Each team is required to submit both a 3–5-page technical paper and a 3-minute video describing their final product by December 15th, 2023. As the current team was working towards completing their project, the call resounds for future participants to join next year’s team.

At Morton West, the REACH program is run by Engineering teacher Mark Stoch, and Human Body Systems teacher Kelly Janousek. Both teachers invited students from their respective classes to participate in this challenge. Mr. Stoch selected students from his 2nd and 3rd year engineering classes and Ms.. Janousek selected students from her Human Body Systems class.

Top view of the 3D design of the book holder where the Dycem silicone material will be placed. This side will be facing the table when in use. Designed by Eric Ascencio, a member of Morton West’s REACH Challenge team.

According to Janousek, ” The students I chose were students that are very motivated by helping out within the community. Participating in this allowed students to work collaboratively and share their unique perspective and skills with students they may not otherwise see throughout the day.” The REACH team at Morton West was working with a student who struggles with their fine motor skills, specifically a lack of wrist and finger movement.

Meeting every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday morning since September, from 8:00 to 8:40 a.m.Morton West’s REACH Challenge team members worked together towards creating their final product. After meeting with the student, REACH members worked with them a few times, as REACH members learned that the student enjoys reading; however, they struggle to read physical books due to their lack of fine motor skills. This lack of control mades it difficult to keep the book in one place and turn its pages. According to Janousek, The REACH members developed a bookholder that focused on the mechanics needed to be considered with; our user, her mobility, and specific range of motion. 

The bottom view of the 3D design of the book holder is where you can see where the elastic band will enter on the right as well as where the magnets will go. This side will be facing the book itself when attached.

After weeks of designing and prototyping, the team printed a 3D-designed prototype of their final product. The final product was a universal attachment for any book that prevents the book from sliding across any surface. To resolve this, the product designed to resolve this issue consists of a thin 3D-printed object that will remain attached to both covers of a book using an elastic band. To keep the book from sliding, both 3D printed parts will have a layer of Dycem non-slip silicone material on the bottom and top to grip the surface it is placed on as well as the book itself. When the student is done reading the book, they can easily slide the attachment off and place it onto whatever book they plan on reading next.

Weaving the aspects of health and engineering together, as well as hard work and dedication, Morton West’s team was on the final stretch of completing their innovative bookholder, working on all the finishing touches before submitting the technical paper and video on December 15th. REACH members at Morton are still unaware of the results as the board of judges continues to review all the submissions from across the country. If the REACH competition resonates with you, stop by either D107, Mr. Stoch’s classroom, or C110, Ms. Janousek’s classroom, next school year for information on how to participate and make a difference in your community.