A Day at the Ballpark: To Learn

A Day at the Ballpark: To Learn

MHS students heard first-hand the trials and tribulations of the lives of local and national sports media personnel.

“And its out of here!” The phrase everyone hears when their favorite baseball player finally hits a homerun. However, some might wonder who the person is behind making those calls in the broadcast. The Sterling went to the White Sox Sports Media Day event to listen to the struggles of the some people in the media industry, while also enjoying a baseball game in the end.

Jason Benetti (left) Len Kasper (middle) and Chuck Garfien (right) talking to students at the White Sox Sports Media Day event.

The Morton Journalism crew arrived to Guaranteed Rate Field in the early morning hours to attend the White Sox Sports Media Day event inside the ballpark. Guest speakers such as Len Kasper, Jason Benetti, and Chuck Garfien talked to students in a presentation style event about the struggles and obstacles they endured in the sports media industry. Many students in the crowd asked questions in a Q&A event after the main presentation was over. Even though many student’s weren’t that interested in the sports media industry, English teacher and head of the English department, Brett Rush said, “I really hopes the students listened to the end of the presentation with Len Kasper and Jason Benetti talked about podcasts, which is one of the ways students get their information now these days”.

After the presentation style event was over, students were able to walk around the ballpark before the first pitch was thrown. Many students grabbed a bite to eat, while others went to the many gift shops that were sprinkled around the ballpark. After the students walked around for awhile and finally found their seats, they sat down and enjoyed the game and the atmosphere around them. Students cheered and applauded when the White Sox’s were able to get some base hits, and also booed and showed disappointed when the opposing team, the Arizona Diamondbacks, were able to get some runs on the board.

White Sox players warming up on the field before the first pitch was thrown.

Even though the White Sox sadly lost by 0-3 to the Diamondbacks, many students still enjoyed the baseball environment. The Sterling up with Xiomara Avila’17, who was one of the students that attended the fieldtrip, and asked her about her thoughts on the field trip. “Overall I had an amazing time.” Avila exclaimed. “I got to share this experience with my friends and boyfriend, who is interested in going into sports media. So it was nice seeing his questions get answered. I’m very thankful for all the teachers and staff that made this field trip possible”. The Sterling also caught up with Angel Castro’17 and got his thoughts on how his experience went. “The field trip was amazing. Being with my friends and watching the game was a great experience and I hope we do something like this again.” Castro explained.

Even though many students were disappointed in the outcome of the ball game, many students would say that this field trip was one that they would never forget, some might say that this field trip was an out of the ballpark experience for them.