The digital magazine of J. Sterling Morton West High School

The Sterling

The Sterling

The Sterling

A Deep Dive into Starbucks Seasonal Drinks

Joshua Guzman
Iced Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks is the #1 fall seasonal drink.

What comes to mind when you hear Starbucks in Fall?… Most people think the Pumpkin Spice Latte. Even though this isn’t the only seasonal drink that Starbucks offers, why is this the first drink that comes to mind? During a small series of interviews we dove deep down into the opinions and thoughts of Starbucks employees and customers.

A young and promising Starbucks employee Brianna Mancera, told us why she believes that the PSL is a best seller.

“The PSL from Starbucks is the best seller because it has a sweet taste while still giving off that fall vibe,” Mancera said. Buyers want something that tastes good while still reminding them of the fall season, she added.

But what about the wait? Will the preparation it takes to make seasonal drinks leave you waiting to enjoy your liquid indulgence?

Mancera stated along the lines that there wasn’t really a time difference in making the drinks, just what went into the drinks. Such as the difference in syrup pumps and pumpkin spice flavoring.

Starbucks isn’t the only coffee shop that sells seasonal drinks during the fall, but why is it the most popular?

According to a senior from Morton West High School Tyreana Thomas, “The PSL is the most popular drink because it has a fall vibe that helps bring in the season.” Who doesn’t like a little added fall vibe?

Some might say that the drinks from Starbucks are overpriced and aren’t worth the expenses.

Thomas had something different to say.

“The prices of Starbucks drinks are priced just right because your not only paying for the drink but your also paying for the quality and quantity of the drink that you don’t usually get at other coffee shops”. For those saying that they are “over priced” the seasonal drinks at Starbucks are the same price as a regular drink, and they offer a rewards system and deals on their app. Thomas says “using the app saves her time and is just overall better then waiting in long lines”. The app offers a shorter waiting time for your order and is usually the better option given that it offers deals that you can only get on the app.

Overall Starbucks’ popularity for their drinks and prices are why people order the Pumpkin Spice Latte in the fall, it adds to the aesthetic that people look for.  The Pumpkin Spice Latte is fairly priced as well as the other seasonal items that Starbucks offers on their menu.