The digital magazine of J. Sterling Morton West High School

The Sterling

The Sterling

The Sterling

Homecoming Proposals: It’s a Cheer Affair

“Would you go to Homecoming with me?”

A question every girl wants to get asked during Homecoming week. Though many girls did get asked, varsity cheerleader, Gaby Reyes’, homecoming proposal was made special, ensuring it’d be one she’d never forget.

Danny and Gaby’s homecoming proposal after the Friday Homecoming Game.

After the Friday night Homecoming game, Danny Torres, varsity football player, decided to meet Gaby at the stadium. Here, he would ask her to be his date to homecoming and to be his girlfriend.

“My heart was pumping very fast not knowing what the outcome would be,” said Torres with the biggest smile on his face. He walked up behind her carrying his poster and waiting to see her reaction. She turned around and her eyes widened as she saw the poster he made and the beautifully picked flowers. What made it so meaningful, was the sheer effort he put into making the proposal perfect for Gaby.

“It was like out of a movie scene, just perfect,” said Gaby. She saw his smile as he held up the poster like a little kid proud of their artwork. Gaby claimed, “I’ve never been asked out to Homecoming so this was a big deal for me.”

She loved how much thought he put into it, and the intimacy of the proposal which gave her the time to soak it all in.

“I was thinking about the poster for a couple weeks and how I was gonna surprise her,” Torres said. He wanted it to be perfect.

“She treats me good so I wanted to show my appreciation for her,” he added.

Torres hid the poster in the coaches’ office and had the flowers stashed in a locker with water to keep them fresh. All the hard work and dedication he put in paid off when he met her on the field and just saw her smile… the smile that started it all.

So what advice would Danny Torres give to the other boys that are too scared to ask?

“I would tell them to be confident and don’t overthink it. It can be scary but if you know the girl is worth going extra miles for, then just go for it.” said Torres.

Divina Garcia, another recipient of a Homecoming proposal and the Mustang Homecoming game, saw that very same effort from varsity football player, Alejandro Martinez.

“I can’t believe it happened to me,” Garcia said, adding that it was everything she wished for: a homecoming proposal related to her favorite song, “2 AM” by SZA. The moment was perfectly set up with only her close friends to witness one of Divina’s happiest nights.

Alejandro’s and Divina’s Homecoming proposal after the Friday Homecoming game.

“I saw him walk out of the stadium with the poster, and immediately started crying,” said Divina. “He’s the type of guy I’ve always dreamed of, one that’d treat me good.”

Evidently, Martinez did try his best to treat Divina the very best he could. After all, he got her favorite color flowers, and hugged her as she cried. The a type of hug that showed he understood her in ways nobody else could. A long, tight hug which connected their two hearts into one.

Martinez claims he was not nervous at all, but excited to see her reaction, and to take her to Homecoming.

“What made you want to ask her to Homecoming?”

“She always went to my football games and supported me. No matter how busy she was, or what was going on, she always stayed till the end. She always supported me.” said Martinez.

Alejandro is always with Divina, so it was difficult to try and hide the poster and flowers. He ended up getting help from one of his close friends, Danny Torres, who helped find a place to hide the poster. Torres ended up hiding the poster in the weight room, and the flowers in the coaches’ office, where their two bouquets sat beside each other.

These carefully planned out proposals are the epitome of what homecoming proposals are all about, and they showed the heartwarming effort put into them that both girls would remember. A night that really showed how much these guys cared for them.