Kicking Off To A Rough Season Start

After promising off-season, Morton Varsity football struggles to 1-4.

Photo courtesy William Jay.

Running back David Wilson evades a Riverside-Brookfield defender’s tackle in the season’s opening game at Morton Aug. 25.

Kevin Wesley, Staff Writer

The Morton Football team has been unsuccessful so far in the beginning of their football season coming short in their first four games against opponents Riverside-Brookfield, Proviso West, Hinsdale South, and Oak Park-River Forest.

Yet for many, hope remains after a 13-12 victory over the Panthers of Proviso East on Sept. 22.

On Aug. 25, The Mustangs faced Riverside-Brookfield high school. The Mustangs came out of the gates strong and confident expecting a win but their opponent thought otherwise. With score after score for the Bulldogs, and no score at all from the Mustangs, the Mustangs came up short with the final score being 34-0.

Sept. 1, 2017, the Mustangs faced the Proviso West Panthers, a team they never faced before. Morton started off strong with two touchdowns by running back David Wilson in the first half. The Mustangs on top with the score being 14-7 by the end of the first half. In the second half the Panthers fired back by scoring 3 touchdown passes in the fourth quarter. Mustangs came out short again with the final score being 32-18: the Panthers took home the W.

On Sept. 8, 2017, Mustangs went up against the Hinsdale South Hornets. In the first half the Mustangs were struggling, giving up a touchdown and a punt return for a touchdown by the Hornets. In the second half the Mustangs tried to bounce back with a touchdown by senior wide receiver Patrick Peel but that wasn’t enough to even out the score. The Hornets came out on top with the final score being 38-7, and the mustangs take another loss.

Every thing was there. I just think we gave up, and we didn’t want it bad enough as the other teams and I feel like if we want the win we have to want it more than anything else.

— David Wilson Varsity Running Back

” We have to work on focus!” said Varsity Football Head Coach Bob Organ. “Focus, Focus. Players get out on the field and they aren’t focused on what they are supposed to do they have other things on their mind that has nothing to do with the game and that’s something we can’t do. Every thing is their for us to come out on top we just need to focus and know what were out there to do we have to breathe the game, Focus is a big key to a successful outcome.”

Varsity Football Defensive Coordinator Dan O’Donnell concurred, stating that continued effort and diligence will be the key to turning the season around.

“We are going to continue working hard and we are going to bounce back. Yes we started off rough but we still have the whole season to prove ourselves, our hard work will pay off like coach said. We just have to focus more out there and stop thinking to much.”