The digital magazine of J. Sterling Morton West High School

The Sterling

The Sterling

The Sterling

The World Series Is Over

The unpredictability and surprising outcomes of the 2023 MLB playoffs

The MLB Playoffs are over as game 1 of the World Series kicked off on Friday, October 27th. This year the playoffs were new and surprising as the MLB introduced a new 12-team format for the playoffs. And because all number 1 seeds, division winners, and fan favorites have been eliminated. The LA Dodgers, Atlanta Braves, Milwaukee Brewers, Baltimore Orioles, Minnesota Twins, Houston Astros, and Philadelphia Phillies were among the teams eliminated in this year’s playoffs.

New 2023 MLB playoff format allows 12 total teams in this year’s playoffs

In the National League, the Dodgers went 100-62 clinching a playoff spot along with the Braves who finished 104-58 being the number 1 seed in the NL. The Brewers and Phillies made their way into the playoffs as Wild Card teams with the Brewers going 90-72 in the season and Phillies going 90-72.

In the American League, the Astros went 90-72 clinching a playoff spot along with the Orioles who finished 101-61 being the number 1 seed in the AL. The Twins and Texas Rangers made the playoffs through the Wild Card with their season record being 90-72 for the Rangers and 87-75 for the Twins.

Throughout the playoffs, many of these teams were eliminated in the first round or the Wild Card round. The Brewers were eliminated by the Arizona Diamondbacks who were another Wild Card team in the NL their record was 84-78. The Diamondbacks swept the Brewers moving on to the NLDS where they faced the Dodgers. The Diamondbacks also swept the Dodgers punching their way through to the NLCS. The Phillies would also make their way to the NLDS after winning their Wild Card round. The Phillies would go on to face the Braves who are the number 1 seed in the NL. In the NLDS, the Phillies would come out on top in the series 3-1 against the Braves. Both the Phillies and Diamondbacks go against each other in the NLCS after 2 upset victories.

The Twins and Texas Rangers would both make it through their Wild Card games moving on to the ALDS. The Rangers would go on to face the Orioles who were the number 1 seed in the AL. The Rangers swept the Orioles in another upset victory, the Rangers would go on through to the ALCS. The Twins went against the Astros in the ALDS where the Astros would win moving on to the ALCS where they would go against the Rangers.

During the ALCS the number 2 Astros went against the number 5 Rangers in a series that went to game 7 with the Rangers coming out on top with an 11-4 victory against the Astros. The Astros were the last division winners that were still in the playoffs their loss to the Rangers got rid of all division winners from the playoffs. In the NLCS the number 4 Phillies went against the number 6 Diamondbacks resulting in another series to end in game 7 with the Diamondbacks coming out on top with a 4-2 victory over the Phillies. Both teams were down 2 games in the series playing both on the road, the Diamondbacks and Rangers made it to the World Series in consecutive upset victories against the Phillies and Astros.

D’Anthony Garcia, a sophomore at Morton West High School, said “I felt that the playoffs we’re entertaining but my team wasn’t in it so a little disappointing. I liked the drama and build-up since everyone was hyping up the Phillies so when they lost it felt good. But I want the Diamondbacks to win it all this year.”

Iker Justiniano, a sophomore at Morton West High School, said “I wanted the Orioles or the Rangers out of the AL and the Diamondbacks or Phillies out of the NL to make it to the World Series. The playoffs I enjoyed this year, had a lot of upsets and entertaining games. I want the Diamondbacks to win the World Series this year just cause of the underdog story, from wild card team to World Series champs is unheard of and very fascinating.”

Ricardo Gonzalez, a sophomore at Morton West High School, said “I wanted the Brewers to go far and make it to the World Series. I kind of liked the new playoff system because we get more games which gives us more baseball. But I do kind of feel it has screwed over some teams so I can kind of see why some people might not like the new rule changes. I want the Rangers to win the World Series because I prefer them more, to be honest. Other than that I do feel the Rangers have a better team and should win the World Series. But I can see why some people might want the Diamondbacks to win because they are the perfect underdogs but I still want the Rangers to win.”

2023 MLB Playoff Bracket
2023 MLB final playoff bracket

The number 6 seed in the National League and the number 5 seed in the American League will come face to face in the World Series. The Rangers are looking to win their first World Series in franchise history with the Diamondbacks chasing their second championship. The Rangers came out on top achieving the first World Series in their franchise’s history by defeating the Diamondbacks in game 5 of the World Series. The Rangers won the last 2 games on the road, the Rangers have set a record of 11 wins in a row on road games during the MLB postseason. The Texas Rangers are the winners of the 2023 World Series beating the Diamondbacks 4-1 in the series.

Texas Rangers celebrating their first championship win in franchise history