Helping Those in Need

“I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion about the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it.”

H. Thabet

SAALT students prepare to gather and box food for children in Africa.

Halema Thabet

S.A.A.L.T. stands for Student Athletic Activities Leadership Team.  This club collaborated  with the Morton West students, staff, and community to help the kids around the community . This group is sponsored by Mr.Manfre, an American History teacher at the West campus. Mr.Manfre, in collaboration with Principal Mr.McMahon, both want this student organization to make a difference in our community.  McMahon and Manfre reached out to Chick-fil-a last year to develop an event to help the community. S.A.A.L.T became a part of Chick-Fil-A Leadership Academy.Last year they went to a nursing home,  hung out with the elders, ate a meal, and played games.The event gave the elders an opportunity  enjoy something different and have a good time. S.A.A..L.T.  enjoyed this event because seeing everyone’s’ smiles on their faces made the group happy. It was extremely difficult to leave the elders since we knew we had made a difference in their lives.

Students work hard to gather a variety of food for each recipient.
H. Thabet

On September 29,2016  the S.A.A.L.T. worked with the Chic-Fil-A Leadership Academy. S.A.A.L.T., with help from Ana (helper from chick-a-fila), we prepared bags of food for kids in Africa. Ana has been helping us since last year; she’s a helpful person and has been with us since this program started. Ana brought us the food and S.A.A.L.T. packed the food for the kids. The difference this makes for the kids in low socioeconomic status, they will have a meal and even if it’s for a day, they will be thankful for what they have. Doing this activity helps us as a team to help each other, communicate and be thankful. S.A.A.L.T. organizes set up lock ins, providing food, water and games.  “212 Degrees” is on our club shirts it tells us to never stop and when we want to give up to keep going because we’re almost there.   “ At 211 degrees, water is hot. At 212 degrees, it boils. And with boiling water, comes steam. And with steam, you can power a train. Just one extra degree makes all the difference.”

SAALT members were treated to a Chi-fil-A snack after their hard work.
H. Thabet
SAALT members were treated to a Chick-fil-A snack after their hard work.