Veteran’s Day Assembly Reflections

Ms. Obermaier’s Photography Student, Janet Marquez, captures intimate moments of the event.

A graduate of Morton West speaks of the importance of honoring veterans.

Photos by Janet Marquez, Story by Michael Troncoso & Halema Thabet

On November 14th, Morton West High School honored current and formerly-serving veterans of the U.S. military.  Students and staff were able to hear from a veteran who was also a Morton West graduate of the 1960s, and then saw a video about the 22 Push-up Challenge.  Audience members then witnessed students and staff participating in the challenge, with history teacher Mr. Lager counting each push-up.  The assembly concluded with Dr. Pearce’s band playing the hymns of the Marines, Army, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard.

The Sterling asked some students and teachers their opinions about the assembly:

“The Veterans Assembly is a way to show and motivate students to join the army because of the admiration veterans get.”  Beto Arredondo

“I thought that it reminds you of the people who risk their lives to try to save our people and protect our country.”  Dana Velasquez

“I believe that the assembly was to recognize some of the people that fought for our country in order for us to have a safe environment.  It also reminds people that we are living the good life because of them.”  Liz Vera

v5
Local boy scouts were in charge of bearing the flags.
The "Star Spangled Banner" is sung by Dr. Pearce's choir singers.
The “Star Spangled Banner” is sung by Dr. Pearce’s choir singers.

Mr. McMahon is joined by both students and staff as he takes on Day 1 of the challenge.
The veterans being honored at the assembly watch a video about the 22 Push-Up Challenge made my Mr. Graham's video class.
The veterans being honored at the assembly watch a video about the 22 Push-Up Challenge made my Mr. Graham’s video class.