The Sterling

Making Morton Magnificent

There are many things we can improve about our school.

This is the Morton logo.

wiki

This is the Morton logo.

Jailene Torres, Journalist and FMP Member

Do you think that Morton East and West are perfect? Every school could use some improvements, whether it be the building itself or the school curriculum. The Sterling went around asking Morton West and Morton East about some improvements that could be made to each school.

Thinking of a way to help improve the school? According to Quora, keeping the school clean helps improve it. Picking up after yourself or picking up wrappers, papers, etc. from the floors in the halls not only makes the school clean, but it makes the school itself look good. The Sterling asked school staff and students about other changes that would make Morton magnificent.

When Mr. Brodeur,  Morton West assistant principal, was asked if he could add any rule to the school, he responded, “I would add the rule that every student should be involved in a club, activity, or sport.  I think that students involved with school enjoy coming to school more, build stronger relationships with their peers, and do better in school academically.” This must be true since according to United Educators Association, keeping students busy and involved is an effective way to improve school discipline. Chemistry teacher Mrs. MacDougal was questioned what success in a classroom means to her. She explained, “Success in a classroom is to see passionate and rigorous learning… It’s when I see students enjoy what they’re learning and are being challenged at the same time.” Indeed, Scholastic acknowledged that making collaboration a priority is an excellent way to improve the school because it allows students to come together,  ask questions, and learn new things.

Daniella Mendoza, senior at Morton West.

Omar Samaniego, senior at Morton West

Alfonso Hernandez, also known as “Fonzi,” a senior at Morton East.

A student at Morton West, Omar Samaniego ’18, was asked about the school uniform. Samaniego expressed, “I think the school uniform at Morton is beneficial to all students… It’s more affordable, keeps bad organizations away, and helps make everyone equal.” A student at Morton East, Ashley Pichardo ’18, argues that, “Only being able to wear black, brown, white, and grey limits our options in shoes and makes it a lot harder when shopping… Not to mention, if you bring colored shoes, students are either detained or sent home which deprives them from a full learning day.” Indeed, Stephanie Northen, a reporter from The Guardian, declared that uniforms are good for discipline and school ethos giving pupils a real sense of identity with their school.

Alfonso Hernandez ’18, from Morton East was asked why having more students/having bigger school benefits students rather than having a small school. Hernandez claims, “Having more students would benefit us because we get to meet a different variety of people and some high school students might choose to go to a community college, which is more of a big school. Being able to experience a bigger school can help you make the decision on which college is a better fit.” Morton West Daniella Mendoza ’18, argues that, “Having less students/having a smaller school would benefit the students.  They would be able to get more attention and can easily be taught one-on-one rather than having a lot of students because it doesn’t really allow every student in the class to receive the extra help they need.” Indeed, Wasley informed Education World that student achievement was greater in small schools than in large schools. Small schools allow teachers to personally work better with their students.

Whether or not you believe Morton West or Morton East is perfect, every school needs improvements. Every school could use adjustments, whether it’s the building itself or the school curriculum. One thing is for sure: putting effort to make the school a better place for everyone depends on the choices that students make.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Making Morton Magnificent”

1. Harry sheridan on October 30th, 2017 8:34 pm

Nice article

[Reply]

2. Josh McMahon on October 30th, 2017 8:47 pm

Great points by all. Thank you for sharing!

[Reply]

3. Crismina Gutierrez on November 10th, 2017 2:18 pm

I believe that this article is put together very well. I liked it because it not only gave one person’s point of view but a few other students and staff members. I also have to agree with what was said in this article. It should be important for students to keep in mind that the school should be kept clean. It’s not fair to our janitors to be picking up after disrespectful students. So yes good job!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Showcase

Morton West Readies for Construction Project

• Making Morton Magnificent

Lifestyle & Culture

One of Morton’s Finest

• Making Morton Magnificent

Showcase

Jocelyn Martinez, the Wonder Woman

• Making Morton Magnificent

Lifestyle & Culture

Southern Cooking Comes to Berwyn

• Making Morton Magnificent

Entertainment

Seussical The Musical

• Making Morton Magnificent

Community

Gold seals for being Bilingual?

• Making Morton Magnificent

Features

Thanksgiving: History, Tradition, and Family

• Making Morton Magnificent

Entertainment

Call of Duty WW2: CoD is Back

• Making Morton Magnificent

Showcase

NBA Fantasy Values

• Making Morton Magnificent

Entertainment

Hamilton!

The digital magazine of J. Sterling Morton West High School
Making Morton Magnificent