The Sterling

College Life

Investing in your future will pay off in the long run.

Brianna Nevarez

Morton College. UIC. Harvard. Loyola University. Elmhurst.

No matter how big or small the college you’re examining is, a higher education can be the key to a successful life.

College is the greatest investment you can make on your future. According to cesap.nmhu.edu, “The more education he/she receives the more money they will earn. A person with a 4-year college degree earns twice as much as a person with just a high school diploma.” Although college tuition isn’t the cheapest, The Sterling wanted to find out who cared about their future and what they wanted to do as they come to the end of their high school career.

Norma Martinez ’18

Marymar Sanchez ’18 is really excited to start this new chapter in her life. When we asked what really motivates her to put this much effort in her future she replied, “I really want to make my parents proud, because I will be the first to graduate high school. I really want to work with something that I will enjoy doing for the rest of my life.” The Sterling was amazed that many people were excited to start this new beginning after they graduate. According to Kianna Orozco ’18, “Yes! I am very excited to go to college after high school. We all know that college is already expensive and it’s more expensive if you’re staying at a dorm, so when we asked Norma Martinez ’18 if she would like to stay close to home or go away, she replied,  “I wouldn’t be able to leave my family plus it would be more expensive.” It’s important to get and save as much money as you can because https://thebestschools.org states, “The average graduate today will owe more than $37,000 in student debt.”

Arixel Hidalgo ’20

Another student, Arixel Hidalgo ’20 explains that in 5 years, “Hopefully I’ll be in college and helping out my family in any way possible.” Which is very mature thing to do so their lives wouldn’t be so complicated, because according to www.collegeview.com, “Opposed to generations of the past, high school graduates today are unable to obtain the number of high paying jobs that were once available.” According to https://www.scholarships.com, “Universities prefer students who are distinguished and have been recognized for an accomplishments.” This is a good thing for Christian Colderon ’20 because he’s on the football team. College is difficult and some people that enter don’t finish. But for Janey Fuentes ’19 she states, “I will focus on my future career in college and I will take full time on my academic career.”

So whether you want to go to a big university like UIC or a small community college like Morton, it is still important to look into your future and the options that you have.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “College Life”

1. harry sheridan on October 17th, 2017 9:41 am

nice article. a college education gives anyone a competitive advantage in life

2. Emily on November 10th, 2017 9:56 am

Great article , College isn’t a requirement but it’s an amazing experience and it sets you for your future !

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

The digital magazine of J. Sterling Morton West High School
College Life