The digital magazine of J. Sterling Morton West High School

The Sterling

Top Gun

Morton grad Edwin Chua begins the long road of training to become an Air Force pilot.

Getting Ready for Take-off: Edwin Chua, 22, gets ready to climb into the cockpit of his F-16 Fighting Falcon for aerial combat training.

Jennifer Lopez, Editor

Edwin Chua, 22, has always loved being in the air as if he were a bird who just wanted to take flight, whether it was from playing jump rope, jumping on the trampoline or even just skipping down the sidewalk. If his feet were on the floor he wasn’t enjoying himself fully. Last year, Chua decided to join the Air Force to start off his career as an Air Force pilot. Chua was asked a series of questions pertaining to his work in the air force and how the past year has been going for him.

JL: “Did anything or anyone motivate you to go into the Air Force ?”

EC: “My grandpa, he was a U.S Marshall in the Navy and I always looked up to him, he was my guideline into the Air Force.”

JL: “What are the duties/functions/responsibilities of your job ?”

EC: “When I first started they literally just made me do simple chores like cleaning and exercising and I had to attend tech school at one of their facilities but now I’m expected to learn how to properly distribute uniforms and how to work the control center for a plane.”

JL: “How much time out of your day does your job take from you ?”

EC: “My days varies depending on what the drill captain decides we need more practice on so the hours are constantly changing. We could be working 10 hours straight one day and have a free day the next.”

JL: “What kinds of things did you do before you entering into the Air Force ?”

EC: “I love running, I would wake up every morning and take a run to Lake theater and back but I usually make a pit stop across the street to my favorite book store, The Book Table. I was an avid video game player, I would treat my systems as if they were my babies.”

JL: “Did you ever feel as though you were leaving your life behind ?”

EC: “I did at first. I felt as if I was leaving my friends and family behind and they were going to move on with their lives without me and it made me feel a bit left out at times knowing when I would come back to visit I’d have to hear about how their lives have been without me.”

JL: “What are the skills most important for a position in this field ?”

EC: “Being physically and mentally fit is really important. we’re always going through rough and difficult situations and having a clear head is important for when you’re out in the field or even in the plane.”

JL: “If your job progresses as you like, what would be the next step in your career ?”

EC: “I hope to keep progressing physically and mentally and I also hope to move up in positions, like maybe start training for a drill sergeant or even become a recruiter before I devote my time to fully being a pilot.”