The digital magazine of J. Sterling Morton West High School

The Sterling

Pie, Oh My!

Teachers Pitch In For Pie In The Face To Raise Funds for JSA's Washington, D.C. Field Trip

Staff Report

It’s safe to say that for Morton West Mathematics teacher Mrs. Terpstra, her number finally came up.

Terpstra will be taking a whipped cream pie to the face at the school’s holiday assembly Friday after raising the most money for Morton West’s chapter of Junior Statesmen of America during the club’s second annual Pie-In-The-Face fundraiser this week. She raised $191.20.

“On Wednesday morning, I had a student put $45 in my classroom jar,” Terpstra said. “I was shocked. The students in that class thought it was hilarious, and they were determined to make sure I won. Another student followed him and put $20 in my jar a few seconds later.”

[This is] the worst Christmas gift my students have ever given me.”

— Mrs. Terpstra, Mathematics Teacher

But the money didn’t stop coming in, Terpstra said.

“They also talked to their friends in order to convince more students to put large amounts in my jar,” Terpstra said. Friday during sixth hour one student put $50 in my jar, and another put $20 in. As I left on Friday, I knew I was going to be a ‘winner.’

While thankful to raise the funds for JSA, Terpstra quipped that the victory was “the worst Christmas present my students have ever given me.”

Overall, the club raised $844.74 to put toward its trip to the JSA Winter Congress conference this February in Washington, D.C. The club’s members  debate social, political, and economic issues with more than 70 schools during the 3-day affair.

“We’re very thankful to Mrs. Terpstra and the other teachers for stepping up to take a pie in the face to help raise funds for our trip to Washington, D.C.,” club sponsor Mr Kula said. “The conference is the most important event of the year for JSA, and it lets them see what the world is like outside the Chicago area while building confidence and developing public speaking skills.”

Joining Terpstra to take pies in the face during the holiday assembly are Mr. Grzelak, who raised $168.56, and Mr. Rose, who raised $137.56. Each teacher will get pied in their respective assembly shift.

But the fun isn’t stopping yet:  Kula said JSA members will continue raising funds next week  by hosting a ticket raffle for students to select who gets the honor of tossing the pies during the assembly.

And teachers will have their turn at the dessert table, as well:  Kula said the club will offer a teachers-only raffle to toss a pie in the face of Morton West Principal Josh McMahon.

“It’s great to have an administrator who’s willing to jump in on activities like this to help the students,” Kula said.