The Sterling

2018 Special Olympics Fundraiser

Kiana Ventura, Editor

In early February a fundraiser began in support of the Special Olympics. Overall, Special Olympics is an organization for special need kids that is run by the State of Illinois. Fifty percent of the money collected by the fundraiser will go the Special Olympics of Illinois and the other 50 percent goes to the Morton High School Team.

Peggy Grams, a special education teacher at Morton West, states,”…Morton High School has had a Special Olympics team for about 35 years. It was started by a former PE teacher here, Mary Jo Buongiorno, who retired a few years ago…”. This year, Morton’s Special Olympics team has 31 students participating.

The fundraiser is actually a separate event however the winning ticket will be drawn on April 29, 2018 at the Special Olympics track and field event. The event itself is free and will be held at Marmion Academy in Aurora. Grams states,”…it’s with all the different high schools, not only high schools but also recreation organizations throughout Illinois and they have different regional meets first and any student who gets a gold medal at the regional meet goes on to the state meet, which is at Illinois State University in June, and every year we have students who get gold medals and participate in the state meet in June, so that’s a weekend event. We have kids who go down there every June and participate in state.”

Help support the 2018 Special Olympics team by participating in the fundraiser and maybe even attend the Special Olympics track and field event if possible. Show some love for our fellow students.  Tickets for the fundraiser are being sold in Ms. Considine’s room, W128. Tickets are $5.00 each or $25.00 for 5 tickets.