The Sterling

Houston Strong

Nathaniel Quinn, Reporter

The Houston Astros, 2017 World Series champions, celebrating their first ever World Series title over the Los Angeles Dodgers in Game 7 in Los Angeles.

The 2017 World Series, 113th edition, featured the Houston Astros and the Los Angeles Dodgers. The Dodgers, going into the World Series, won six titles, while Houston was still seeking their first title. From October 24th to November 1st, these two teams battled to a game 7, which was held in Los Angeles due to the Dodgers having a better record during the regular season. In game 7, there was no hope for Los Angeles as Houston came out strong as they scored five runs in the first two innings, which was all they needed to win as they only let up one run in the sixth inning from a single by Joe Pederson. The Houston Astros won their first ever World Series title as George Springer, the Houston outfielder, was named World Series MVP.
George Springer was an easy choice for the Willie Mays World Series MVP award with his astonishing versatility and athleticism shown throughout the World Series. Springer batted .379 (11-29) with five home runs, which ties the most home runs hit by a single player in the World Series, and had seven RBIs. He was the only player in World Series history to homer in four consecutive games and out of his eleven hits, eight were extra base hits, which is the most by any player in World Series history. Also, Springer passed Willie Stargell for total bases in a World Series with twenty-nine.

World Series MVP, George Springer, rounding first base after hitting a two-run home run to extend the Houston Astros’ lead in game 7 of the 2017 World Series.

The 2017 World Series was considered to be one of the most entertaining World Series ever due to a various amount of records being broken. Both teams set a World Series home run record hitting twenty-five home runs throughout the series, including another record in game two where both teams hit eight home runs. This was a single-game World Series record. This World Series was the first in which home field advantage was decided by regular season record rather than the all-star game winners. Although not a record that no pitcher would want to be broken, Lance McCullers Jr., Houston Astros reliever, became the first pitcher to hit four batters within the first three innings of any game, and the first to hit four batters in any postseason game.
After a year of disaster and mourning from Hurricane Harvey, the Houston Astros wore a patch saying “Houston Strong”, which gave the game a lot more meaning to it. Upon receiving his MVP award, Springer showed his love for the city of Houston.
“This is a dream come true and an honor,” Springer said. “But it’s about the Houston Astros tonight, our city, our fans. That patch on our chests really does mean something. We’re coming home champions.”
Houston, being a city that has been through so much, finally got themselves a championship. Enjoy it Houston, the future is bright.