The Sterling

2017 Boys Varsity Basketball Try-Outs

Cynae Sullivan, Writer

It’s that time of the year for one of Morton’s favorite winter sports. Basketball! This year’s boys basketball tryouts were held November 6th– 8th  at Morton East’s main gym.

One student who is truly passionate about basketball is Latik Murphy ’19,  “When I tried out I was expecting to make the team because you should always believe in yourself.” Murphy has been playing for Morton since his freshman year and used to play for the Lincoln Wildcats in Middle School. During tryouts, Murphy believes you should always try your best, “You always want to play hard and be a leader on the court, what you don’t do is not get back on defense and shoot shots that you wouldn’t usually shoot.”

Darius Little before practice.

Another student who loves basketball is Darius Little ’19, “When I tried out I expected everybody to compete and play their hardest because everybody was trying earn a spot on the same team.” Little is a transfer student from Bolingbrook High School. This is his first year at Morton West and he used to play for Brooks Bulldogs in Middle School. This being his first time playing with a new team Little expressed, “Morton has already made me feel like I’m part of the team so that made it feel like I was back in Bolingbrook so it became easier for me.”

Both Murphy and Little made the varsity team. Good luck to them and the boys’ varsity team in the 2017-2018 season!